Monday, August 10, 2020

Split Gatefold Card

Todays card is a real quick and easy card called a split Gatefold Card. It is inspired by a YouTube tutorial by Jennifer McGuire. When I first started making card, she was my card making guru!

The card is really easy to make, however, it is still quite a striking type of card. The one I have made here is in portrait mode, and measures 5 1/2"x7". You can basically make these cards any size your card stock will allow you. 

To make this card;
-  I started out with a piece of card stock that was 5 1/2"x 8 1/2", and scored it on the 8 1/2" side at 2 1/8". I then turned it, and scored once more at 2 1/8". 
- Next, I folded and burnished the two smaller panels in towards each other, so that they formed a "gate".
- To decorate the card, I stamped a piece of paper that was 5 1/4"x 6 3/4" with a background stamp, first with a light purple, and then with a vibrant green. 
- Then I cut this piece of paper in the middle, to create two identical mats for the gates of my card. These were then glued onto the front of my card.
- I cut a strip of cilantro colored paper measuring 5 1/4"x 1 1/2" - cut it in two and glued it onto the front of my card. I also cut a thinner strip in light purple, Sugarplum, measuring 5 1/4"x 5/8", cut it in two, and glued it onto the first strip. Both strips were cut from Lawn Fawn paper scraps.
- On top of the paper strips I glued dark purple ribbon, leaving long enough ends unglued, so that they could be tied in a bow to close the card.
- I then die cut a large butterfly twice in white card stock, scored them in the middle and folded them in halves, before gluing each half onto the "gates" of the card, threading the loose ribbon through the butterfly.
- The last thing I did, as I thought the card needed something more, was to color the wings of the butterfly with a ZIG Wink of Stella brush pen in Glitter Violet, before tying the ribbon in a bow.

 

 I wanted to make the inside of the card a bit different, so I decided to cut small slots to insert a loose piece of paper in to. I decided to keep the butterfly theme of the card, on the inside as well, hence I stamped it with a butterfly stamp, and colored them with my Black Widow Coloring Pencils.


This is Jennifer McGuire YouTube tutorial on how to make split Gatefold Cards.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Easy Fold-Over Cards

Lately I have been hooked on making a simple fold-over card, that you can easily make into a gift card/tag-pocket card. Once again...