Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Slightly enlarged handbag style gift boxes.



The other day I posted a handbag/clutch style gift box that I had made after having watched a replay of a Paper Pixie Facebook Live. I love this bag a lot, I only wish it was a bit bigger. So, I decided to play around with it a bit, to see if there was anything I could do to make it larger, without compromising the strength of the box too much. I didn't add pictures of the box´ closing, when I posted pictures of it last time, but here are a couple of photos of how the handbag is closed. The extra lid on the underside of the decorative closing makes it a very sturdy box.
The box, open with the lid closed, and open with the lid open.



I found that if I didn't want to use a much bigger sized piece of card stock for the base, I only could increase the size of the bag by omitting the lid, and adding the length of that piece to the height of the box instead. I didn't, however, want to leave the front of the box completely unsupported, so I left a 1/4", that I could fold over, just to give it a tiny bit of extra strength.
Here is my solution. I have omitted the inside closing lid, to gain a little extra height. On this purple and on the pink one, I have used a small magnet for the closing mechanism, while on the others I have used a velcro dot, like you can see on the original box. 


 We are not talking about a huge difference in size, the smaller one being 2 3/4" high, and the bigger one 
3 3/8", while they both are the same width, 4 3/4", and the same depth 1 1/2".



I loved making this box, which resulted in me making it in several colors. In this post I am actually showing it in reversed order, as I started out making the brown on, then the orange, the purple and then I made the pink last.


The brown, or chocolate bar colored one, is made with base papers from Lawn Fawn, and downloaded papers that I have purchased, for the decoration.


I haven't quite figured out what I will use the boxes for yet, they are a bit too small to put a pack of cards into, unless I make some cards that are a little smaller than regular sized cards, but I am sure I will think of something.

My attempt at making a tutorial to show you how to make these boxes.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Easy Fold-Over Cards

Lately I have been hooked on making a simple fold-over card, that you can easily make into a gift card/tag-pocket card. Once again...