Sunday, April 19, 2020

Kite Cards


You're So Fly, Kite Card
I am constantly trying to evolve as a card maker, and the only way to do that is to try out new styles and card making methods. Card making is so more than just gluing something onto a card base. Luckily, I guess I should say, as it would be extremely boring if that was what all the brilliant card makers out there did. 
Today's card is called a Kite Card, for the simple reason that it has a small paper kite as a focal point. I first saw this card on a Facebook live that Sam Calcott from Mixed Up Craft (mixedupcraft.com) did a few days ago. It is not a new card style that she invented, it has existed for quite some time and there are many good examples and tutorials for it, out there. However, when Sam gets an idea for a card, she always makes it her own by putting her own spin on it. I however, am a copy cat, I admit that - but that is the way I learn to make all these different cards. This one turned out to be a real struggle for me, though. The kite itself is not hard, what gave me problems were the mats and layers. It looks really simple, but somehow I either managed to get them too small, or too big, or I didn't get the right angle so it fit the angle of the kite. I must say I have been relived to see that many of the other members of the Facebook group "Mixed Up Crafters (MUCs)", although not everyone, have had the same problem that I have had. However, there have been SOOO many beautiful versions of the card among the MUC members that I didn't want to admit defeat and give up. Therefore, I kept going until I got it right as well, or at least until I got results that were acceptable to me. 

Here is Sam's youtube tutorial for the card:


Inside my kite card
I have only made one kite into a card so far, I do, however, have more kites that are ready to be made into finished cards.


This kite is quite a bit bigger than the other kites. It is meant to hold a gift card. It can also be stuck down on a card, it just has to be a bit bigger than the cards required for the other kites.
Larger Kite holding a gift card.


Two more kites that are ready to make into cards:



I will post the other kite cards I make when I finish them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Easy Fold-Over Cards

Lately I have been hooked on making a simple fold-over card, that you can easily make into a gift card/tag-pocket card. Once again...