Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Playing with Alcohol Inks

The last couple of days I have been exploring a bit with alcohol inks again. I have used these inks before as well, however, it has been a while since I last had them out. As far as I can see when I look back at my previous blog posts, I haven´t posted any of the cards I have made using alcohol ink elements, before. Which actually is a bit weird, as I have at least made a few cards that I have been happy with. I can especially remember one card, that I had a lot of fun making. It had heat embossing on an alcohol inked background.
I called the card "Beautiful", and I remember being really happy with the result, as I had no idea how the alcohol inked background would hold up to my really powerful industrial style heatgun🫣, when melting the embossing powder.
Two other card examples with elements of alcohol ink, are the two cards above. They are a lot simpler, and all I have done to showcase the alcohol ink in these, is to cut out smaller squares, which I then have placed in a basic pattern on matching gold, (Thanks) and silver (Hello) card stock.
This time around I haven´t made any cards with the alcohol inked panels I have created. That will come later. The purpose of these sessions was to see if I could get a flow that I could be happy with. I am happy to say that I did. I wanted to try out using industrial grade anti-bac (95%) instead of the alcohol blending solution that are sold in craft stores. The reason for that is that the blending solution is immensly expensive and you tend to need quite a bit of it. So a while back I purchased a big bottle of anti-bac, intending to use it with my alcohol inks, and luckily it worked like a charm!
I created 4 panels. The first one is the one shown in the first photo of this post. I went a bit crazy with colors, and I was afraid I would totally ruin it with way too much ink resulting in a dark muddy-looking mess. However, in my opinion I was able to pull away in time, and I am very happy with the result. I started to worry a bit when I added gold. The gold I have is the "mixative" kind and thankfully, with a generous amount of alcohol, it blended fairly well with the colors I put on top of it. I do want to get some of the "alloy" inks as well, as I would love to try to make highlights in the other colors.
Afterwards I made a panel with different shades of blue and silver, which I am also happy with.
Then I made a red and gold version, that really makes me think of Christmas😄.
I also wanted to film the process, and I decided to use shades of greens and gold while filming. I haven´t edited any films lately, which was really evident! Even using something as basic as iMovie turned out to take hours, as I don´t really have the commands at the tip of my fingers. BUT! I got it done in the end, and the result can be seen below.
Hopefully, I will be able to finish a few cards real soon, that are showcasing some elements from the above panels real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Easy Fold-Over Cards

Lately I have been hooked on making a simple fold-over card, that you can easily make into a gift card/tag-pocket card. Once again...