Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Valentines Box Card

Todays post was inspired by my crafty bestie @Caatandco messenger message right before midnight the other night. I had gone to bed and was in a state of not quite asleep but feeling very drowsy, however, awake enough that I had to glance at the message. There was a link to a YouTube video included, which I definitely was not going to start watching at that late time. The next day, however, I did watch the video. It was basically a video promoting this new die set for a box card, which coincidentally my friend also had included in her message the previous night, but since I love challneges, I decided to try to make my own version of a box card.
Link for the die set: https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/product/simon-says-stamp-basic-box-card-hearts-wafer-dies-set-set485ch-and-back-again-set485ch
As I said, I watched the video, and in it Kristina Werner shows how to make a box card using the dies. The box card, when finished and folded flat, fits into an A2 envelope, which makes it tiny! I decided to make each of the box´sides A2, although since I wanted to cut the base of the box from just one sheet of 8" x 11" paper, I adjsted my size from the normal 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" A2 size to 4" x 5 1/2", so a little narrower than a regular A2. This meant that when my box card folds flat, it measures 8" x 5 1/2", quite a bit bigger, but I can easily make an envelope to hold it.
As you can see in the link I included for the dies, you can also purchase dies for the layers creating depth in the box. I obviously don´t have any of those, so I had to try and figure out how to create my own layers. It might be easier if the box you are making is for an ordinary occation, but since it is Valentine´s Day soon, and I am in the midst of creating Valentine´s related items, I needed the layers to have a heart/love theme. Unfortunately I don´t have too much that I can use for this, but I do have one A2 heart background die, that I decided would do. One layer down, two to go.....😘. Since I made a couple of Valentine´s Gift Boxes recently (next blog post😉), I wanted cards to go with these, and although my initial thought was something a bit more simple, however, I decided that if I used matching paper as one of the layers, the box cards would match the boxes perfectly😂.
When it comes to the written message, which is basically why we make and send cards, I did not want to write it directly on the box like Kristina Werner suggested, so I decided to create an insert to hold a note, as my third and final layer. I chose a patterned pice of paper that I cut to the right size for folding in two to create a pocket, and glued it into the box card. The inserts themselves are just made from the same paper that the actual box card is made from. They have holes punched at the top, in which I put heartshaped eyelets, and ribbon. I also kissed the edges of the paper with some Kitch Flamingo distress oxide ink.
The papers I have used to decorate the box card with, are from a Valentine´s paper pad from Martha Stewart Crafts, that I just bought on sale. On the front where I have cut out panels, so that you can see into the box, I have adhered heat embossed acetate.The message says (in Norwegian) "You make me happy Because you are exactly you. Very ordinary, very special, very you."
These box cards were sort of made using the trial and error method, as were the envelopes. At first I made an envelope to fit an A8 sized card, 5 1/2" x 8", but that became a little too snug, so I had to increase the size a little.
Making these, I have come to the conclusion that I am more of a box, than a box card, kind of girl, so most likely, unless I am asked to make more of these, I will let cards be cards, and boxes be boxes in the future.🤣

No comments:

Post a Comment

Easy Fold-Over Cards

Lately I have been hooked on making a simple fold-over card, that you can easily make into a gift card/tag-pocket card. Once again...